633 Ridge Road Lyndhurst, NJ 07071

What Kind of Dentist Do You Need?

Dentistry is a wide area of study. It’s common for many dentists to specialize in just a few different areas of expertise, much like doctors. Going to the right dentist in Lyndhurst, NJ, is crucial to ensure you get the proper care for your teeth and gums. While all dentists are capable of treating a wide variety of concerns, you want to make sure you work with a dentist who specializes in your specific case. Most dentists will be happy to provide you with a referral to a specialist if they don’t treat your dental problems.

The right DENTIST in LYNDHURST NJ could help you get the best treatment for your mouth

Types of Dentist in Lyndhurst, NJ

Many dentists will specialize in one or two types of dentistry. It’s common, for example, to see a dentist offer both restorative and cosmetic dentistry services. But there are some dentists that stick to only one type of dentistry. What kind of dentist you need will depend largely on what kind of dental treatment you need.

General Dentist

Everyone should be seeing their general dentist at least twice a year. Routine exams and hygiene appointments are crucial to help combat plaque buildup and decay. However, your general dentist is also often your first stop when you notice something wrong with your oral health. General dentists are trained to provide early diagnostics for many dental problems.

While they may not be able to treat every problem, they can often identify the cause of concern. If your dentist doesn’t provide the treatment they need, they’ll often know a specialist in the area who could help.


Endodontists work primarily with the inner root and pulp of your teeth. If you need a root canal, your dentist will likely refer you to an endodontist. By specializing in this specific area of concern, many endodontists can provide quick and efficient appointments. If you have an infected pulp, an endodontist may be able to provide treatment and pain relief.


Periodontists specialize in diagnosing and treating issues with your gums and other soft-tissue areas. Many dentists can treat early gum disease with antibacterial treatments or deep cleaning appointments. However, advanced gum disease is often more tricky. If your dentist notices you have advanced gum disease, they may refer you to a periodontist for extensive treatment.

Oral Surgeon

Many dentists can perform basic and extensive operations, including tooth extractions. However, some cases provide unique complications that make procedures more risky and difficult. For example, if you have an impacted tooth, the process to extract it may require specific tools or skill sets your dentist may not have. Oral surgeons are trained on dealing with complex dental conditions that require more expansive treatment. Your dentist will likely also refer you to an oral surgeon if you need a dental implant for tooth loss.

At Ridge Family Dental, we want to make sure you get the best treatment for your oral health. Call us today at 551-272-7026 to schedule a consultation and see what kind of treatment you may need.